This thick and healthy soup will warm you from the inside out. Just what you want on chilly days—a bone warming bowl of comforting goodness! You can make this satisfying dish anytime you want and it’s just as delicious the second day as the first. Team it with a melted cheesy toastie and you have the perfect duo!
- 2 onions chopped
- 3 gloves garlic smashed
- 3 punnets of cherry tomatoes
- 2 white washed potatoes peeled and diced
- 50 ml olive oil
- 3 small red capsicums deseeded and sliced
- 1 long red chilli deseeded and sliced (add more if you prefer spice)
- 1.5 litre water
- 2.5 teaspoons Vegeta veg stock powder
- ½ bunch basil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 slices of thick white bread
- Butter at room temp for spreading
- 2 types of cheese (cheddar and swiss are good options)
- Mayonaisse (Luciano uses Kewpie mayo)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion has turned a translucent colour. Add potato, tomatoes, capsicum and chilli and fry until the tomatoes break down.
- Add stock powder to the water and mix to ensure no lumps, then add to the soup pot and turn the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Add basil. Blend, in batches, until smooth and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a little basil and olive oil. Enjoy!
- Place 2 slices of bread on a chopping board. Spread each slice with mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper.
- Top one slice with 2 slices of cheese (we used Swiss). Top with remaining bread slice. Butter outside of each side of the sandwich.
- Heat a grill, hotplate or heavy-based frying pan over medium heat.
- Toast sandwich for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Once ready, slice in half and serve with your tomato soup!