Head Chef of Encore Events Centre, Luciano shares a recipe for
Spanakopita, a traditional and easy savory pie showcasing silver beet, which is in season right now.
- 600g silver beet washed, dried and chopped
- 300g Danish fetta
- 500g ricotta
- 2 x onions diced
- 3 x eggs, whisked
- ½ bunch fresh dill
- Olive oil
- 3x cloves garlic crushed
- Salt & pepper
- 1 packet filo pastry
- Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced).
- Over a medium-high heat sauté the onions and garlic until soft and fragrant (about 4 minutes). Add the silver beet and let it wilt down (about another 4 minutes). Add salt and pepper to your preferred taste.
- Place the feta in a large bowl and roughly mash with a fork. Add the ricotta, dill, and a little salt and pepper. Mix with the fork to combine. Place the drained silver beet mix on top, the whisked eggs and mix until well combined.
- Lightly oil a baking tray and line your oven tray with sheets of filo pastry brushing each one witholiveoil, letting the excess hang over the edge.
- Tip the mix into the filo pastry and spread out evenly. Fold in the overhanging pasty and layer with 3 more sheets of filo pastry, brushing each one with olive oil as you go.
- Use a sharp knife to score the pastry into diamonds. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until well browned.
- Gently shake the baking dish; the spanakopita should slide easily when it is cooked. Cover with foil if it is over-browning. Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before serving.