You may think fajitas are too fussy for a weeknight dinner but this easy version by Head Chef of Encore Events Centre, Luciano can be achieved by anyone and ready on the table in under an hour.
Drawing from his South American heritage and flavours that his mum would often cook with, this comforting fajita recipe will bring the Mexican restaurant direct to your living room. Get the pan sizzling, throw in some spices, chicken and vegies and enjoy!
- 500g free range chicken breast sliced into strips
- 2 x limes
- 2 x garlic cloves crushed
- 3 x capsicums sliced
- 2 x red onions sliced
- 2 avocado
- 1 packet white corn soft tortilla
- 3 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic salt
- Dried oregano
- Olive oil
- Sour cream and water to achieve a runny consistency
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (optional)
- In a large fry pan on a low heat with a tablespoon of olive oil, fry your onions for 5 minutes until fragrant and translucent. Add your chicken and spices to the pan and cook on a medium heat for 3 minutes on each side. Once cooked, set your chicken and all the delicious juices from the pan to the side.
- In the same pan on a high heat, add an extra tablespoon of olive oil and saute the capsicums for roughly 3 – 5 minutes until soft and tender. Keep stirring as you don’t want them to burn.
- Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and squeeze half a lime all over and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat after 2 minutes.
- Prepare your guacamole by cutting the avocado in half, de-seeding it and scooping the flesh out of the skin and placing into a bowl with cumin, juice of half a lime, salt and pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil. Mash all together with a fork.
- Heat tortilla wrapped in a clean cotton tea towel for 1 minute on high in microwave and serve immediately with your chicken, guacamole, runny sour cream, lime and fresh coriander to garnish.