Author and chef, Adele McConnell shares a great recipe for Butter Tofu and Indian Curry Paste.
Tofu has been used as a meat replacement for years and in this recipe, Adele shows you how to master it with this delicious super easy butter tofu recipe. Adele first goes through making the base of the recipe with an Indian curry paste which adds layers of flavour to this butter tofu recipe.
Reducing our meat intake even a few days a week can have health benefits and significantly lower your own greenhouse gas emissions. If you wanted to see exactly how much, check out the ABC Carbon Calculator to see what your CO2 reductions may be just swapping a couple of your usual meat meals to plant-based replacements!
First make your Indian curry paste. This recipe makes enough for 2 dishes and next week Adele will show you another recipe using this curry paste to make a vegetable curry using up any leftover vegetables you have in your fridge.
Indian Curry Paste Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 onions, diced finely
- 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch ginger, diced finely
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Chilli to taste
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and stir gently, cooking until soft and translucent.
- Add the mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric, garam masala and stir to coat, and cook a further few minutes until the spices are fragrant and the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- You can use as much or as little as you like- this recipe will be enough for two dishes.
- You can store any excess in the fridge (covered with oil) or in the freezer.
Super Easy Butter Tofu Ingredients:
- ½ cup homemade curry paste
- 1x 300g block firm tofu, pressed with paper towel to remove excess moisture and diced
- 1 cup almond milk (can use other preferred milk, nut or seed milks etc. )
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- In a large pot, heat up your curry paste over a low heat.
- Fry tofu until crisp in a small amount of olive oil and continue until crispy on all sides and add to the curry paste- stirring to coat.
- Blend the homemade almond milk the raw cashews until smooth and pour into the pot.
- Add the maple syrup, tomato paste and season with salt and pepper – and simmer on a low heat until it thickens up. Serve with rice or naan.